Teachers Can Be Bullies, Too
- Excessive use of physical force or corporal punishment
- Restrictions or violations of students' civil rights, such as unreasonable searches and seizures of students or their property, or restrictions on students' freedom of speech
- Failing to address the special needs of students like the Florida kindergartner
What You Can Do
- Contact school officials immediately. Talk to officials at the school and at the local school board of district
- Get to know the disciplinary procedures for students and staff in the school district
- Request an investigation, and be persistent. Ask for a formal, written explanation of the investigation's findings
Questions for Your Attorney
- Does a school have to honor my request for any records about a teacher's past disciplinary problems?
- Do I have to file compliant with any government agency or office before I file a lawsuit against a teacher?
- Can I have criminal charges filed against a teacher or school official?