Wednesday, November 5, 2008

My Letter To Jeff Grisamore

Representative Grisamore,

As our elected official I would like to make you aware of the issues that your constituents face. I have tried in the past, but I feel that I should make you aware of them again.

I am sure that you know that I endorsed Jason Norbury. I'm disappointed that he didn't win. I felt that we had finally found someone that would truly address our children's issues.

However, Jason didn't win and our needs have not changed. Therefore, I am turning to you , as your constituent and a taxpaying citizen, for real solutions to real problems.

I read your article in the Lee's Summit Tribune. I don't believe that you were completely honest in your response. I wish that, in the future, you would state the facts and not lead people to believe something that isn't true.

"With five of our children that are school age attending Lee's Summit schools, I am passionately committed to support and defend the quality of education that our students enjoy," he said. "I co-led the fight in the Missouri House to defeat legislation this year that would have required Lee's Summit Schools to accept students from the Kansas City school district."

On another note, Grisamore told the Tribune that "One aspect of the bill that was "lost to compromise," Grisamore said, "were tax credits for parents to send their children to another school if their local public school wasn't able to provide an adequate education.""We couldn't find common ground between the public educators and the school-of-choice folks," Grisamore said.Grisamore said some lawmakers were nervous about the potential of public funding going to private schools.

That hardly says that you co-led the fight to defeat that legislation.


Bryce's Law

What is Bryce's Law? This is a bill currently being considered in the Missouri legislature that creates the Missouri Special Needs Scholarship Tax Credit Program. (House Bill 1886 and Senate Bill SS/SCS/SBs 993 & 770) . Please play the quick video below from Representative Scharnhorst in which he shares why this bill is so important:This program gives parents of special needs children with an IEP in a public school the choice to move their child to another public or private school using a special needs scholarship that will cover all or part of the costs as well as transportation to certain public schools.

Beginning with tax year 2008, a taxpayer would be able to claim a tax credit against a state tax liability equal to 80 percent of his/her contribution to a scholarship-granting organization. To read the current bill summary, click here

That is hardly a bill that was designed to make Lee's Summit schools accept students from Kansas City. We both know that no one would send their special needs child to Lee's Summit. Yet, you sent out mailings and have continued to state that it was. That was very misleading and I would expect more from a minister and definitely from my legislator.

The input I have received from them has influenced the three autism related bills I have filed this year—two of which are being heard in the health care policy committee this Tuesday. Many other autism and disabilities advocates and groups I work with are greatly dismayed by this and understand that no Missouri legislator is more pro-active on autism and special needs than me—and I am just getting started.

Comment by Jeff Grisamore from Lee's Summit, Missouri on Apr 12th, 2008, 15:16 pm


While I have gained much inspiration to advocate for Autism through the multiple meetings and hours I have spent with Sherri Tucker's autism support group, the three bills I am sponsoring did not come from them. Two of them are recommendations of the Missouri Blue Ribbon Panel and the other autism bill on education was developed in collaboration with educators.

Comment by Jeff Grisamore from Lees Summit on Apr 15th, 2008, 22:44 pm


I will say to answer your questoin of how we live in a $200,000 house with such a low salary, we were offered the house right after our daughter died and a significant portion of the house was gifted through the benevolence of friends, family and a foundation. We do not make $100,000 a year as you claimed and never have. We bought that house in 2003 when my salary was much higher and it is difficult to keep up with our mortgage. We have considered downsizing, but want to honor the generosity of those who helped us with the home by trying to stay in it and it is a bad sellers market anyway.

You don't have a mortgage on your house. Bill Kenny paid for your house.

As for the Autism Blue Ribbon Panel, I did not speak to Senator Justus about letting me on the Commission. Senator Gibbons, who leads the Senate told me he had wished he had known of my interest in autism before the apointments because he would have wanted to appoint me. We did discuss having me added to the panel after the appointments, but I instead plan to serve on the Autism Commission as a House member. It would have been difficult for me though to make all their hearings with my interim commitee and service on the Missouri Children's Services Commission of which I am now serving as Chairman.

You did ask her. I was at the meeting and she told me afterwards. Also, the list for the Autism Commission came out and your name was not on it. I also saw the notes that you were writing about that. It happened when I walked over to address you because you purposely sat several seats away from Debbie and I.

As for a committee on autism and special needs in R-7, I have spoken to the Superintendent and Board, which relates to why he spoke to you. If that committee is formed, you will have one voice, although I would like to see D on it too, along with others, such as J. That will be up to R-7. Given your antagonism toward me and them, you are most fortunate you are being considered to be on such a committee. I would encourage you to consider changing your approach for the sake of LSASG's credibility and influence with R-7 and beyond. Your current approach is only isolating and alienating yourself from me and others who are doing much to help children with autism and their families.


"Rep grisamore is getting ahead of himself. There have been no follow up discussions about any ideas that may have been mentioned in some setting. Honestly, I do not recall discussing this committee but I may have forgotten. It happens. My invitation to discuss the issues is for you only at this time. You and I can discuss together where all of this goes from there. I hope this clarifies my intention. I do not go into this knowing where we will end up but do feel our dialogue has the potential to make us a better district and help you better understand our challenges. I am really looking forward to our meetings."


While there is animosity between us, that still doesn't release you from the responsibilities that you have as my legislator. I am going to be following things much closer the next two years and I plan to hold you to your word.

I am still very disappointed in the inaccurate statements and false information that you continue to distribute, but you are all that I have. Therefore, I will work with you because my child's life depends on it. But, make no mistake, I am not as naive as I was two years ago and I will not make the same mistakes.

I am holding you to your word and I will make sure that you live up to it. The people of Lee's Summit deserve it and you should provide it.

Good luck in your position and don't let us down again. You owe it to us to do the things that you claim that you do and that you promise you will do.

No comments: